search instagram arrow-down

Blog Stats

Top Posts

Recent Posts

Archives

Categories

Tags

2014 World Cup Africa Assassination Attractions Baltimore Birding Birds Black History Blogging Bob Marley Bombay Hook Cayman CB&W CFFC Challenge COB Conspiracy Cooking CWW Death Delaware Entertainment EPL Food Football History Injustice Jamaica Life Lifestyle Maryland Media Music Music History Nature Pennsylvania Peter Tosh Photography Poetry Predictions Premier League Reggae Relationships Shocking Soccer Sports Vegetarian Virginia Washington DC Weekly Photo Challenge

Blogs I Follow

Meta

The Absurdity of Sports Fan Loyalty

The writer might be what we call a ‘bandwagonist’, but he makes some interesting points.

Sifting Reality

If there is one thing Americans are good at, it’s being loyal to their favorite sports teams.  Fanatical, absurd loyalty.  I can appreciate that, I have my favorite teams, and have had them for a while now.  I am a fan of the Boston Bruins, Boston Celtics, Buffalo Bills, Texas Longhorns, and Texas Rangers.  However, my loyalty is waning.

fansI have decided to put the Bills on a two year probation while I search for a new team to support with my fandom.  If they do not make the playoffs this year or next, I will abandon them.  The Longhorns on the other hand I have already let them go.  Unfortunately my wife found a Longhorns t-shirt for my youngest daughter to wear as a night-shirt.  She loves to put it on and come show me that she’s wearing my favorite team.  I must now live a life of lies…

View original post 307 more words

8 comments on “The Absurdity of Sports Fan Loyalty

1. John Barron says:

Bandwagonist?? What? I had been a Bills fan since I was 12, I’m now 34, and a longhorns fan since I was 18. I challenge you to a duel!

The point of the post was how people can make a lifelong commitment to something as trivial as a sports team, but not their spouses, or best friends. I was noting that because sports teams let us down and frustrate us, we remain loyal, yet when a significant other does the same, we throw in the towel rather easily.

Cheers!

1. Renegade says:

I guess bandwagonist was too harsh. I understand the points you were making though.

1. John Barron says:

Ok, on a different note, why is being a bandwagonist looked down upon with such disdain?

2. Renegade says:

Because being a true fan takes so much time & effort. It’s hard to have any respect for a bandwagonist.

3. John Barron says:

Shouldnt that also apply to personal relationships like marriages?

4. Renegade says:

Yes it should! Like I said earlier, I understand the points you were trying to make.

5. John Barron says:

I mean, people jump on bandwagons with things like cellphones and clothing styles, why not sports teams? Why must we remain loyal yo one?

6. Renegade says:

There is a different dynamic with sports teams. Being a sports fan is a lot more intimate & interactive. There is normally a conversation surrounding the team you sport. Bandwagonist fans also want to be part of that conversation. That’s when it is a problem. They should not be seen or heard.

Express Yourself!