For weeks I have tried to compile a list of my ten favorite Tupac songs. It proved to be a tough task. First, It took me a couple of hours (over two days) to sift through all the albums. Then another couple of days to shortlist the songs and start compiling my list. It is well documented how tireless and prolific Tupac was in the recording studio. He would churn out complete songs in a matter of minutes. He could do an album worth of music in days. Since his murder in 1996, there has been six/seven ‘official’ posthumously released albums – a testament to his work ethic.
My Top Ten list was compiled using songs recorded while he was alive, as well as posthumous releases. This list in no way represents Tupac’s best work. Other fans and critics could argue what his best work was for years and would never agree. These songs, however, represent my personal preference. I love rebellious Pac, inspirational Pac, and the ‘Son of a Black Panther’ Pac. I loved the rawness and honesty in his songs.
These are the songs I most connected with and was most able to relate to:
1. Changes – Greatest Hits Album (1998)
2. Until The End of Time – Until The End of Time (2001)
3. Dear Mama – Me Against The World (1995)
4. When Thugs Cry – Until The End of Time (2001)
5. I Ain’t Mad At Cha – All Eyez On Me (1996)
6. Fuck All Y’all – R U Still Down? (Remember Me) (1997)
7. My Block – Better Dayz (2002)
8. Life Goes On – All Eyez On Me (1996)
9. Don’t You Trust Me – Loyal To The Game (2004)
10. Thugz Mansion – Better Dayz (2002)