search instagram arrow-down

Top Posts

Recent Posts

Archives

Categories

Blogs I Follow

Tags

2014 World Cup Africa Assassination Attractions Baltimore Birding Birds Black History Blogging Bob Marley Cayman CB&W CFFC Challenge COB Conspiracy Cooking CWW Death Delaware Entertainment EPL Food Football History Injustice Jamaica Life Lifestyle Maryland Media Music Music History Nature New Jersey Pennsylvania Peter Tosh Poetry Predictions Premier League Reggae Relationships Shocking Soccer Sports Vegetarian Virginia Washington DC Weekly Photo Challenge Wildlife

Meta

Greater Yellowlegs

Greater Yellowlegs

The Greater Yellowlegs (Tringa melanoleuca) is a large North American shorebird. Adults have long yellow legs and a long, thin, dark bill which has a slight upward curve and is longer than the head. The body is grey-brown on top and white underneath; the neck and breast are streaked with dark brown. The rump is white. It ranges in length from 29 to 40 cm (11 to 16 in) and in weight from 111 to 250 g (3.9 to 8.8 oz).

The Greater Yellowlegs is similar in appearance to the smaller Lesser Yellowlegs. Its closest relative, however, is the Greenshank, which together with the Spotted Redshank form a close-knit group. Among them, these three species show all the basic leg and foot colors found in the shanks, demonstrating that this character is paraphyletic. They are also the largest shanks apart from the Willet, which is altogether more robustly built. The Greater Yellowlegs and the Greenshank share a coarse, dark, and fairly crisp breast pattern as well as much black on the shoulders and back in breeding plumage. [Wikipedia]

Greater Yellowlegs

Greater Yellowlegs

A common, tall, long-legged shorebird of freshwater ponds and tidal marshes, the Greater Yellowlegs frequently announces its presence by its piercing alarm calls. [All About Birds]

Greater Yellowlegs

Greater Yellowlegs

Greater Yellowlegs Facts [All About Birds]

• Although the Greater Yellowlegs is common and widespread, its low densities and tendency to breed in inhospitable, mosquito-ridden muskegs make it one of the least-studied shorebirds on the continent.
Greater Yellowlegs

Greater Yellowlegs

12 comments on “Greater Yellowlegs

1. Arkenaten says:

Nice! Can’t remember if I have asked before, what camera and lens do you generally use?

Liked by 1 person

1. I started with a Nikon Coolpix L830 and then upgraded to a Canon Rebel T6 with a Tamron 70-300mm lens. However, for the last two months I have been shooting with a Nikon P900 which has the equivalent of a 24-2000mm lens.

Liked by 1 person

1. Arkenaten says:

Thanks for the info.

Liked by 1 person

2. No problem. How about you? What do you shoot with?

3. Arkenaten says:

I have an EOS 400D and I am borrowing my daughters Sony Cybershot.

Liked by 1 person

4. Amy says:

do you mean 24-200 mm lens?

Liked by 1 person

5. It wasn’t a typo Amy ☺. This particular camera has a super zoom lens. You can see it in action on YouTube. ☺

6. Amy says: