search instagram arrow-down

Photo credit senczyszak.com

Liebster Award
Blogger Recognition Award
The Versatile Blogger Award, Blogging,

Blogs I Follow

Meta

Tomorrow I will be going on a road trip to Canada. I will be making the 9-hour drive from Delaware to Toronto by myself. This adventure should last about a week, and I plan to do some camping, sightseeing, and of course, birding. I am super excited because I have never done anything like this before. I hope it all goes well. If it doesn’t, it will still make a remarkable story.

Renegade's Camping and Road Trip Gear
Renegade’s Camping and Road Trip Gear

I am open to ideas and suggestions. If there is anything you think I should be aware of, let me know in the comments section.

19 comments on “Road Trip To Canada

1. Arkenaten says:

Cell phone fully charged. (make sure those who need to know are aware you are on your way)
    Check your tires,(pressure, cuts, nails etc – including the spare before heading off. )
    Wheel spanner and Jack in place?
    Top up the battery fluid if necessary.
    Check the radiator. Anti freeze if necessary
    Windscreen wiper reservoir
    Check brake lights and indicators.
    Small tool kit of essentials. (Screwdrivers, spanner, fanbelt etc?
    Make regular stops – ( 2hrs, tops -less preferably) get out and stretch your legs, drink and eat something.
    You can’t alternate drivers so don’t push it. You only have to spend more time recovering once the drive is finished.
    Be wary of hitchhikers – even if they look hot!
    If you are driving at night, consider night vision glasses.
    Have fun!

Liked by 2 people

1. Thank you, man. That’s a lot of useful information.

1. Arkenaten says:

Well , as the saying goes … been there, done that!
        Not nice getting caught short, especially when one may be caught up in the excitement of the trip itself.
        One other thing. Pack a powerful flashlight. That is an essential.

2. With the gear I bought last night and what I already had (I have been thinking about this for some time), I should be good. Plus, I am going to use these comments as a checklist before I leave tomorrow.

Liked by 1 person

3. Arkenaten says:

Nine times out pf ten nothing untoward will happen and the trip will be smooth and easy.
        But it pays to be prepared.
        My one and only solo road trip was only three hours – London to Chester in the UK.
        But at around 11:00 pm, an hour from home, while driving on a a quiet back road, my throttle cable snapped! And this was before cellphones came along!

Liked by 1 person

4. How did you get home?

5. Arkenaten says:

Ah ….
        I needed a piece of wire, about six inches would have done, but couldn’t find one in the car.Not even a coat hanger! I was wearing zip up boots so I didn’t even have a shoelace for goodness sake!
        The car was a Hillman Imp and the engine is in the rear, like a beetle. Using pliers I was forced to pull the broken end of the throttle cable until I could reattach it to to the throttle screw on the carburetor.
        Unfortunately this jammed the throttle open almost full, so you can imagine what happened when I started the car!
        It was the most scary drive I have ever had and by the time I arrived home I had completely worn out my brakes.

All I can say is thank goodness the roads were mostly empty during that hair raising drive.

6. You are a regular MacGyver. Glad you made it home ok.

Liked by 1 person

2. Arkenaten says:

Oh, I forgot. unless you are fluent in the language – consider a US – Canadian phrase book.
    😉

Liked by 1 person

1. I should be able to pick up one of those at a gas station.

Liked by 1 person

1. I’m confused as to why you’d need one of those, it’s not like you’re headed to Quebec. But anyway, I want to wish you safe travel and reiterate the importance of stretching your legs periodically (every 2 hours or so). Take lots of pics and have lots of fun! 🙂 A car charger is a must!

Liked by 1 person

2. Thank you. Check! Check! And Check! 😀

Liked by 1 person

3. rugby843 says:

I would just say make sure to take the Maid of the Mist boat ride at Niagara Falls.  I’m jealous, send pix!  Enjoy,

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

Liked by 2 people

1. You are the second person to suggest the Maid of the Mist boat ride. I will check it out. What would a trip like this be without lots of photos? 😁

1. rugby843 says: